In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
CIB Americas Operations comprises three operations lines: Global Banking Operations (Trade and Treasury Support Middle Office, Credit Middle Office, Loan Servicing, Trade Finance and Warehouse lending), Global Markets Operations (Product Control, Securities Execution and Clearing, US Derivatives Execution & Clearing, Control & Regulatory Oversight, and Collateral/Treasury Forecasting Liquidity Management) and Client Engagement & Protection (KYC Due Diligence, Client Service and Client Referential).
CIB Americas Operations – Operations Permanent Control (OPC), within the CIB Americas ITO Chief Conduct and Controls Office (CCCO) is mandated with driving the awareness and application of the following core elements of control and supervision throughout a scope that comprises Global Markets Operations, Global Banking Operations and Client Engagement & Protection for North America. Specifically,
•Facilitates control governance by evaluating, maintaining and enhancing the Operational Risk Control framework
•Owns the centralized view of the Operational Risk control framework, with responsibility to streamline, secure and deploy the control framework
•Ensure all CIB Operations controls are exhaustively and continuously mapped in the CIB Operations control and risk information application
•Monitors Key Risk Indicators via customized Scorecards and Dashboards
•Monitors and acts as escalation point for Incidents, Audit Recommendations, and Operational Procedures
•Performs granular and systematic quality assurance control reviews of Level 1 operational procedures, controls and supervisory responsibilities of all CIB Operations teams
OPC has a fully segregated reporting line, with no responsibility for operational production
- Perform risk self-assessment (analysis of processes, risks and controls mapping, quantification of potential incidents), perform set up of corrective actions and formalize the control plan
- Provide analysis and reports based on Key Risk Indicators and results of controls performed by the various controls and process owners
- Support control reviews, perform root cause reviews and add value through a recommendation/action plan approach of any CIB Operations control/procedure found to be failing or inadequate.
- Monitor and analyze historical incidents and related control plans (action plan and follow-up of the implementation)
- Design standard control and testing procedures, templates and methodology, and the inclusion of BNP Paribas protocols and mandates for Control.
- Perform preliminary risk assessment of the operational risk incurred by new activities and ensure its adherence to the applicable policies and procedures
- Act as a point of contact and advisory to CIB Operations management and staff for Operations during the full risk assessment cycle
- Act as an entry point for all second Line of Defense (LoD) requests (reporting, incidents, control plans) and contribute to the definition of a common action plan
- Coordinate with partners and stakeholders across the organization to establish and maintain a cross-functional and front-to-end vision of risks
- Conduct sessions on risks and controls, with purposes related to awareness, risk sensitization and knowledge sharing
- Ensure all responsibilities are fully cross-trained.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with confidence and composure at all levels of the business hierarchy
- Change agent with exemplary attitude: – innovative, enthusiastic, rigorous, execution oriented
- Skilled multi-tasker with efficient organization skills
- Ethical and control oriented
- Organized and adept at managing competing deliverables
- Strong team skills but comfortable working independently with clear directives
- Excellent desktop skills – including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint
- Able to easily engage stakeholders, and foster a collaborative team environment.
- Innovative and adept at assessing process improvement
- A minimum of 3+ year of experience in a similar risk and control function role
- Independently driven and able to operate autonomously with a split team in multiple locations
- Knowledge of the English is required.
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in Financial Services, with a Finance, Risk, Operations, Audit and or Business Management background
- University degree or equivalent required Accounting, Finance, Business or similar
- Strong knowledge of capital markets products (Equities, Bonds, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange)
- Strong knowledge of Risk management, audit and control methodologies
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **