In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
As an intern, you will benefit from a 4 month program that aims to give you the tools to develop yourself and discover your potential through customized trainings, networking sessions and transversal projects.
More information about the program available on our website:
The position at a glance
The RISK function of BNP Paribas constitutes the Second Line of Defense of the Bank. It aims at independently reviewing, assessing, challenging and communicating on the level of risk generated by the various business lines and activities within the Group. Hence, RISK both protects and serves the bank by acting as a key contributor to its long-term development.
RISK Mission Statements:
- To advise the Bank’s Management on operational risk assessments
- To report and alert Bank Management of the status of risks to which the Bank is exposed
- To contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies
- To contribute to the development and growth of the risk culture within the Group
RISK ORM Canada transversal is part of RISK ORM CIB (Corporate & Institutional Banking), acting as the Second Line of Defense for the BNPP activities in Canada. The primary role of the team is to provide relevant RISK and CIB senior management a comprehensive, transparent, exhaustive, and consistent front to back view of Operational Risk across activities in Canada.
The intern will be located within the RISK ORM Canada transversal team in Montreal, which is providing second line of defense challenge, operational risk management services to internal activities across Canada and will contribute to the oversight of the Canadian platform.
The intern will join a new and dynamic team, exposed to a vast range of different tasks and projects.
Assist in performing second-line-of-defense effective challenge activities and independent testing on:
- The Operational Risk Management (ORM) framework
- Operational risks and control inputs
Contribute to the performance of assessment, monitoring and effective challenge on:
- Risk identification
- Risk assessment
- Risk mitigations and Key Risk Indicators (KRI)
Support the preparation of reporting views to Senior Management with regards to:
- Internal Control Committees for Canada (ICC)
- Prepare report on Operational Risk (quantitative and qualitative) for RISK ORM top management at Canada and regional level.
- Various projects and initiatives (Incident Management, Data risk management, Third Party Risk Management, Anti-Fraud, etc…)
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
TRAINING AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Student completing their Bachelor’s degree in the following fields: Commerce, Management, Finance or Economics.
- Office experience required ideally in the banking environment (but not necessary)
- Experience working with cross functional and multi – cultural teams strongly preferred
- Fluent in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Knowledge in Data visualization tool (PowerBI) or coding language is a plus (Sas, VBA)
(but not necessary)
- Keen interest in following the evolving banking industry trends
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prioritization of tasks / organization
- Ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- Result oriented
- Flexible and autonomous
- Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited Canadian post-secondary program
- Must be able to work in the local premises
- Be 18 and over
- Have at least one more semester left after completion of internship
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal’s Top Employers 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **