What is this position about?
Working closely with the Head of Tax (A&NZ), you will be responsible for monitoring the day-to-day compliance and tax reporting obligations of the BNP Paribas Group in Australia and New Zealand (BNPP Group A&NZ).
You will support the BNPP Group A&NZ by preparing and reviewing all taxation calculations and provisioning for taxation liabilities. You will also ensure the taxation reporting obligations of the BNPP Group A&NZ are met as well as its payment obligations for all taxation liabilities which must be made to external statutory authorities.
Tax Dept. takes an active role in providing taxation support to the various business units which you may be required to assist with from time to time.
You will also assist the Head of Tax to manage risks associated with the taxation obligations of the BNPP Group A&NZ arising from changes in the accounting standards, taxation laws and/or business/operational change.
- Internal – All internal customers representing all business and logistics units of the BNP Group
- External – Australian Taxation Office and Tax Advisors.
What would your typical day at BNPP Paribas look like?
Primary Role Responsibilities
- Calculation of monthly tax remittances and preparation of relevant tax returns;
- Preparation of the tax provisions for relevant Australian/New Zealand BNPP Group entities on a monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annual basis including reporting the corresponding tax results;
- Preparation/review of income tax returns (including CbCR ALF) for the relevant entities in the BNPP Group A&NZ;
- Preparation of Monthly Business Activity Statements (BAS) including calculation and reporting of the corresponding PAYG, FBT and TFN;
- Preparation/review of the monthly NZ GST returns for the Group including lodgement of the returns;
- Preparation & submission of all Group reporting requirements for tax
- Review of AIIR
- Provide high-level FBT advice from time to time.
- Working closely with external tax agents/advisors (as required).
What is required for you to succeed?
Technical & Behavioural Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge across all areas of Australian taxation as it applies to banking & financial services including corporate & international tax (including withholding tax) as well as GST and FBT. Transfer pricing knowledge/experience is desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge of New Zealand income taxation as it applies to banking & financial services desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with preparing and/or reviewing: Australian income tax returns; BAS, FBT returns, tax provisions, effective tax rate calculations, deferred tax calculations; tru-up reconciliations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with identifying potential tax technical issues with accounting positions (including for transactions and/or new financial products).
- Experience in liaising with Australian Taxation Office (including management of ATO Portal).
- You must be detail-oriented with good intuitive reasoning and project management skills.
- You will bring your strong communication, analytical, organizational, and research skills.
- You will have good interpersonal skills which will assist you in working effectively with cross-functional and cross-border teams.
Experience & Qualifications
- Tertiary degree in accounting and/or finance, commerce or business (minimum undergraduate degree).
- Post-graduate qualifications in taxation law (i.e. Graduate Diploma/Master of Taxation or International Taxation, or Master of Law with Taxation or International Taxation Major)
- (Optional) – Chartered Accountant with CA (CAANZ) or CPA.
- (Optional) – Post-graduate qualifications in accounting/commerce (e.g. Master of Professional Accounting, Master of Commerce (with an Accounting Major).
- Minimum of 4-7 years of relevant post-qualification experience in:
– banking and/or financial services;
– accounting firm (Big 4 or large mid-tier in tax compliance & advisory).
About BNP PARIBAS
As the leading European Union bank, and one of the world’s largest financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence in the region since 1860, BNP Paribas offers a wide range of financial services for corporate, institutional and private investors spanning corporate and institutional banking, wealth management, asset management and insurance.
We passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, including diversity of origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion applicants who may be living with a disability. We have a number of internal employee networks in place to empower our staff to act and challenge the status quo.
• BNP Paribas PRIDE is highly active in favour of the LGBTQIA+ community
• BNP Paribas MixCity which fosters better representation of women at all levels of the organization
• Ability, the mutual aid network for employees with a disability or a disabling or chronic illness
• BNP Paribas CulturAll which celebrates diverse backgrounds
BNP is committed to financing a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. The Group is a founding member of the Net-Zero Banking Alliance and has set up its own Low Carbon Transition Group to support its clients through their energy transitions.
BNPP has won Top employer Europe award in a 10th consecutive year