Business Area / Department Overview
DRIVE team is at the heart of Global Markets (GM) and Asset/Liability Management & Treasury (ALMT), playing a critical role in enabling new business and projects across Global Markets / ALMT, contributing to alignment between Front Office and Functions, as well as being the architects (end-to-end) of the Global Markets / ALMT Value Chain.
The team hosts 2 main mandates:
- The Project Leads for vertical (front-office to accounting) or transversal (across several business lines or users groups or locations/entities) projects during all its life cycle (from design to completion). The team leads projects initiated from the APAC region or leads the regional stream of Global/non-APAC projects.
- The end-to-end experts to assist the business in the design and review of their new business initiatives and exceptional trades and to represent IT, Operations and in some cases Finance, at new business approval committees: Transaction Approval Committee (“TAC”) and New Activity Committee (“NAC”).
The key interactions are with the project sponsor, Front-office and all the functions (Operations, IT, Finance, as well as Compliance, Legal and Tax) mainly within GM or ALMT business lines but we also step in at some occasions on projects involving Corporate Banking, Wealth Management or Securities Services.
The team reports hierarchically to the GM APAC Front Office COO and functionally to the CIB APAC Program Office head.
Purpose and Scope of the Role
Team Leads are leaders and coach of Project Managers and / or end-to-end experts within DRIVE. They combine the knowledge of Project Management practice, expertise in GM end-to-end chains and the leadership of a team where they will grow and mentor each member.
A Team Lead manages a team of Project Managers and / or end-to-end experts and at least one project directly. He / she reports to the Head of DRIVE APAC directly.
The role of Team Lead encompasses the following:
- Lead the most complex projects with an adequately sized team for that project so to protect management time for the team.
- Run a governance with front to end stakeholders to ensure adequate decision-making on projects prioritization, progress and sustainability.
- Manage the capacity of the team to ensure timely execution of the book of work:
- For perm staff, anticipate moves, source good potential replacements and help team members to find new positions, with the support of line management.
- Source external consultants when required, by recruiting top quality professionals.
- Pro-actively forecast and arrange backup to avoid key man risk and disruption of delivery.
- Coach / mentor the resources within the team; advise and define training plans for team staff; reassure, give confidence and boost the morale of her/his coaches.
- Perform staff appraisal.
The Team Lead key interactions are with the heads of Global Business Lines (GBL) and related management teams, the business managers, the managers from Operations, Finance, IT and Risk.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
Coaching. As the coach of each team member:
- Develop the capability of Project Managers along the 3 development axes of project methodology, functional knowledge and leadership / mind-set / behavior.
- Supervise / secure Project Managers on the execution of their projects (notably in identifying risks and mitigating them ahead, communicating appropriately, getting buy-in from contributors, planning properly, defining and delivering sound governance and developing appropriate assertiveness).
- Support the end-to-end experts in the continuous development of their technical / functional knowledge of global markets chains (Front Office to Finance) and adequate soft skills of communication, writing and presentation.
- Reassure, give confidence and boost the morale of her/his coaches.
- Develop a training and career path.
Best Practices. As a manager in a fast changing environment requiring continuous adaptation
- Develop, maintain and continuously challenge best practices to contribute to the continuous enhancement of the methodology, governance and organization framework of DRIVE
- Leverage on post mortems and retrospectives to capture lessons worth learning and integrate them into new practices.
Project framing. As the leader of Project Managers:
- Clarify the objective, the scope, the dependencies, the major risks & issues.
- Confirm the sponsorship.
- Ensure a clear business rationale is associated to the contemplated project (incl. high level ROI), identify benefits.
- Size roughly the effort required to design the solution & execute the projects.
- Identify contributors to be on-boarded for the study / Projects
Compliance & Sustainability. As a protector of the bank interests:
- Ensure that solutions designed for the project fit with the principles and are validated by the relevant validation bodies:
- Overall sound IT architecture, functional and technical.
- Efficient Target Operating Model with clear mandates for each participant.
- Strong control framework.
- Compliance with the regulatory framework and adaptability for future regulatory evolution.
- Flexibility for anticipated business transformation.
Technical and Behavioral Competencies
- Capacity to manage and coach a team of junior to experienced Project Managers and / or end-to-end experts
- In-depth knowledge of Front Office to Finance processing chains
- In-depth technical understanding of capital markets products
- Capacity to interact with very senior employees of the organisation
- Ability to interact appropriately in a non-hierarchical framework with a variety of stakeholders including SME from Operations or IT, business and senior management
- Comfortable operating with a strong level of autonomy and/or under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to think outside the box and to deal with novelty
- Strong written / verbal communication and reporting skills
- Strong team working and interpersonal skills
- Organized and delivery-focused, with attention to detail
- Proactive, proposing or taking own initiatives to prevent risks / issues
- Solid work ethic and high level of motivation
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel & Power point)
About BNP PARIBAS
As the leading European Union bank, and one of the world’s largest financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence in the region since 1860, BNP Paribas offers a wide range of financial services for corporate, institutional and private investors spanning corporate and institutional banking, wealth management, asset management and insurance.
We passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, including diversity of origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion applicants who may be living with a disability. We have a number of internal employee networks in place to empower our staff to act and challenge the status quo.
• BNP Paribas PRIDE is highly active in favour of the LGBTQIA+ community
• BNP Paribas MixCity which fosters better representation of women at all levels of the organization
• Ability, the mutual aid network for employees with a disability or a disabling or chronic illness
• BNP Paribas CulturAll which celebrates diverse backgrounds
BNP is committed to financing a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. The Group is a founding member of the Net-Zero Banking Alliance and has set up its own Low Carbon Transition Group to support its clients through their energy transitions.
BNPP has won Top employer Europe award in a 10th consecutive year